Details

Saint Francis Catholic Cemetery

Location: Phoenix,AZ
Address: 2033 N 48th Street : Phoenix, AZ 85008
Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm (M-F) : 8:00am - 3:00 pm (Sat) Mausoleum Hours are 9:00 am to 4:00 pm every day
Phone: (602) 267-1329
Founded: 1897

Acres: 52 Acres Total – 45 Acres Developed

Points of Interest:

The 50,000th burial took place at St. Francis in December of 2007. Prior to 1969 St. Francis Cemetery was operated by the Order of St. Francis, which was under the Diocese of Tucson.  In 1969 Phoenix became an independent diocese, and our first bishop, Bishop Edward McCarthy, made the decision that the diocese should operate St. Francis Cemetery.  On February 6, 1970, we created a new board.  Under their leadership St. Francis Cemetery continued to grow. When St. Francis mausoleum was built, it became the focal point of the cemetery.  Phase #1 was completed in 1971, Phase #2 was completed in 1982, and Phase #3 was completed in 2005.  Phases 1, 2 and 3 currently accommodate 5,000 crypts and 1,400 niches. On entering the cemetery, you will see a bronze statue of St. Francis located in the exterior circular drive to the mausoleum.  This statue was designed by local artist Dean Dwyer of Studio Productions and cast by Arizona Bronze. Walking through the mausoleum you will see the Risen Christ faceted window which depicts the Resurrection of Christ. In the main lobby are glass mosaics of the four evangelists symbolically depicted by the four beasts of the gospel. In Phase #3, first and second floor, we have a 32 foot high and 12 foot wide relief that depicts the “Empty Tomb and Resurrection” of Christ.  It was designed by local artist Dean Dwyer and crafted in Pittsburgh, PA. by  Matthews Bronze Company.  This 384 square foot creation represents nearly 3 tons of sculpted bronze.  Each crypt front measures 6 foot x 2.5 feet and weighs approximately 250 pounds each.  There is not another sculpted masterpiece anywhere like it in the world. Also on the first floor we have St. Peter’s Chapel.  Here we have an 8 foot statue of St. Peter.  Note the attention to details on this 850 pound statue  designed by Dean Dwyer.  Bishops will be buried on each side of the chapel. On the second floor we have the Luminous Mysteries Chapel housing a mosaic Madonna.  The design was created by Conrad Pickel Studio of Vero Beach, FL.  The design shows a peaceful figure of Mary above the globe, hands folded in prayer as she seems to be rising from the earth.  The rays extending from the globe create this rising uplifting feeling.  Mary is wearing a mantle of blue, the traditional color associated with Mary. To the east of the mausoleum is the Crucifixion Altar depicting Christ’s death on the cross for the salvation of mankind. Just east of the altar is the Holy Family Shrine